CherBot Subversion Developer Access
Checking out a normal working copy
To checkout a normal working copy of the latest development, checkout the trunk. This is what's called HEAD or MAIN/LATEST in other version control systems.
svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cherbot/trunk cherbot
Current rules are this:
- All files need a mime type. For normal source code, use
text/plain. Use this command to set the mime type:
svn propset svn:mime-type text/plain filename
Note: A hook verifies that the mime type is set.
- All files with a text based mime type need a line ending setting. CherBot convention is to always use
LF. Use this command to set the line ending style:
svn propset svn:eol-style LF filename
Note: A hook verifies that the eol style for files with mime type text/* is set.
- All XHTML files of the documentation (
src/doc/**/*.xhtml) need a meta element for the edit date:
<meta name="Date" content="$Date$" />
Also, they need their keyword substitution set to
svn propset svn:keywords Date filenameto set the keyword substitution.
Note: Because we cannot install custom hooks on SF, this is not checked with a hook.
Releases are created in the following way:
- A branch with the new release name is created. Usually the branch will increase the minor revision and use it as its name. Example:
svn copy trunk branches/0.8. The policy for branches is that they aren't completely frozen, but only changes required for release and bug fixing are allowed.
- The branch is braught into releasable state. This usually should be zero effort, yet consider this a separate step.
- The release is published. As a part of the release publishing, a tag with the new release name and patch level is created. Example:
svn copy branches/0.8 tags/0.8.0. The policy for tags is that they are completely frozen, tags must never ever be changed.
Checking out a released version
To checkout a released version, use
svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cherbot/tags/version cherbot with version being the release name. To checkout, for example, version 0.8.0, use svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cherbot/tags/0.8.0 cherbot.